October 11 is recognized as International Day of the Girl, and the Girls Scouts of Southwest Texas is using this occasion to highlight programs that improve the wellbeing of girls, including the launch of Gamma Sigma Girls at a local public charter school, IDEA Eastside.
Girl Scouts is a longstanding leadership development program for girls. In a 2017 report about the State of Girls, the Girl Scouts looked at factors that affect the wellbeing of girls, and found that Texas ranked 42nd in the United States.
A local program called Gamma Sigma Girls, launched in 2011, seeks to make the benefits of Girl Scouts accessible to more girls by establishing sisterhoods in middle schools and high schools. The Gamma Sigma Girls groups, and the Gamma Sigma Pearls groups for younger girls, aim for a sorority-type setting that helps girls feel empowered and want to get more involved in their community. Girls can choose an area of focus, including advocacy, taking action, and being college bound.
In San Antonio, Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas has partnerships with San Antonio ISD, Harlandale ISD, Southwest ISD, Edgewood ISD, Uvalde ISD, and now IDEA Eastside, the first public charter school with a Gamma Sigma Girls group.
The IDEA Eastside College Prep Gamma Sigma Girls held their first investiture ceremony on October 9. Girls Scouts of Southwest Texas CEO Angela Salinas welcomed new members.
Parents, grandparents, guardians, and community members came out to support them. If the girls participate in the group long term, they will qualify for college scholarships.
Do you have a story to share about being (or raising) a Girl Scout, or ideas about empowering girls on the International Day of the Girl? Leave a comment to share your thoughts.
- “West Side center embraces the goal of the International Day of the Girl,” Vincent T. Davis, San Antonio Express-News, October 11, 2018
- “Girl Scouts Build Resiliency Needed for Tomorrow’s Workforce,” Jelynne LeBlanc Burley, Rivard Report, October 10, 2018
- “Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas celebrates ‘Day of the Girl’ Friday,” Kiersten Ehr, KSAT12, October 10, 2018
- “AP For All: IDEA Public Schools in San Antonio Gives All Students Access to Advanced Placement Courses,” Inga Cotton, San Antonio Charter Moms, September 18, 2017
- “Girl Scouts expanding Gamma Sigma leadership program in Southwest ISD,” James Aldridge, San Antonio Business Journal, October 28, 2013
- “After a Century, We’re Not Your Mother’s Girl Scouts,” Theodora Setterbo, Rivard Report, November 20, 2012
- “Girl Scouts unveil new program called Gamma Sigma Girls,” Marissa Villa, San Antonio Express-News, November 30, 2011