This morning, I went to Austin to learn more about Texans Deserve Great Schools, an initiative to bring together lots of great ideas about education reform and put it all to work to make Texas schools better.
The part I am most excited about is the call to expand the high performing school options for Texas parents: remove the cap on the number of charter schools in Texas, provide facilities funding for charter schools, and promote enrollment across districts.
A who’s who from the press conference:
- Sen. Dan Patrick (R-Houston), chairman of the Senate Education Committee
- Victoria Rico, chairwoman and trustee, George W. Brackenridge Foundation
- Caprice Young, vice president of education, Laura and John Arnold Foundation
- Mike Trujillo, director of national advocacy, Parent Revolution
- Rev. Dr. W. Raymond Bryant, pastor at Bethel A.M.E. Church in San Antonio
- Andrew Erben, president, Texas Institute for Education Reform
Coverage in San Antonio: “New group pushing multiple changes to Texas education”, Lindsay Kastner, San Antonio Express-News, January 24, 2013.