We are proud to share this guest post by Bonnie Salas, Principal of Brooks Academy of Science and Engineering and parent of a BASE student, about her role as a school leader and a charter school parent.
I am the proud parent of a Brooks Academy of Science and Engineering Bengal. My son is in the fourth grade and transferred to BASE in first grade. Choosing Brooks Academy was the best decision for our child academically and emotionally. We were searching for a school that could meet his needs in the area of reading fluency as well as extra curricular activities.
Family Spirit at Brooks Academy
The transition to BASE allowed for my son to get immediate reading intervention support and the opportunity to select clubs to join—such as coding and basketball intramurals—both of which boosted his self esteem and expanded his interests.
We enjoy the collective family spirit of Brooks Academy. Whether it’s a happy greeting during morning drop off, or the opportunity to attend football games at their new state-of-the-art football field.
The Brooks campus serves pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade students. The Upper and Lower School students are separated appropriately and support each other during school functions. One of my favorite things to see is when the older student athletes open car doors for Lower School students on game days. School-wide pep rallies and the semi-annual festivals are huge family events that bring the school and local community together.
Brooks Academy Leader and Parent
On a personal note, I am also the school leader of Brooks Academy of Science and Engineering. It is important to share my experience as a parent first as that is paramount and a priority.
Every administrator and staff member at BASE knows that we value family as much as we value student success and learning. Every administrator has all of their children enrolled at Brooks Academy from kindergarten to senior class—choosing Brooks among all of the public schools and private schools available to us. We wholeheartedly believe in our school’s mission that “promotes a transformational culture that maximizes student achievement.”
Any one of us is always available and happy to speak to parents or students whether it is about our T-STEM accredited high school extension or how to get involved in our latest community event. We want to ensure that all students leave our campus as purpose driven individuals that in turn contribute positively to society.
If you would like to learn more Brooks Academies, and in particular about our school located in the heart of Brooks, please reach us at our phone number 210-633-9006 or visit our website at brooksacademy.org.
Charter Moms Chats
Bonnie Salas is the Principal at Brooks Academy of Science and Engineering. Mrs. Bonnie Salas was born and raised in the Southside of San Antonio. She comes from a family of educators, therefore beginning her career in education was a natural process. An Our Lady of the Lake University alumna, she began her teaching career in 2007 and has served in different Instructional Leadership roles throughout her school year. Mrs. Salas was fortunate enough to be accepted in the elite Leadership Cohort at Trinity University where she earned her Master’s in School Leadership. Mrs. Salas attributes her success to her parents who instilled a love of learning and high expectations from an early age. In her free time, she enjoys reading and spending time with her family and friends.
Read More About Brooks Academies of Texas
- “A Mother’s Angst: Kathleen Gomez Exercised School Choice in the Age of COVID,” Kat Gomez, San Antonio Charter Moms, May 27, 2021
- “Gratitude Banner and Crafts for Daily Gratitude Practice,” Paula Turner, San Antonio Charter Moms, February 19, 2021
- “Mindfulness Moments with Yoga for Classrooms,” Paula Turner, San Antonio Charter Moms, July 20, 2020
- “Charter Moms Chats—Class of 2020, with Adina Ichilov,” San Antonio Charter Moms, May 15, 2020
- “Charter Moms Chats—Virtual Learning, with Andrea Sabatino, Brooks Academies,” San Antonio Charter Moms, May 7, 2020
- “Meteorologist Jeremy Baker heads to Brooks Academy of Science and Engineering,” Jeremy Baker, KENS 5, February 12, 2020
Read More About Parent Perspectives
- “A Mother’s Angst: Kathleen Gomez Exercised School Choice in the Age of COVID,” Kathleen Gomez, San Antonio Charter Moms, May 27, 2021
- “Parent Perspectives: How Lety Gómez Became a Parent Leader,” Lety Gómez, San Antonio Charter Moms, May 18, 2021
- “Stephanie Adams Shares Her School Search Experience,” Stephanie Adams, San Antonio Charter Moms, May 2, 2021
- “‘Never Too Old or Too Young to Learn’—Wendy Gonzales-Neal of My Child My Voice,” Wendy Gonzales-Neal, San Antonio Charter Moms, December 16, 2020