My kids and I love to hang out at the Landa Library in Monte Vista. The library used to be a stately home, and now the grounds are beautifully landscaped with a playground and a community garden.
I love our city parks, and I enjoy reading about the adventures of Colleen Pence and her family as they fulfill their SA2020 Resolution to visit 20 parks in 2014. “Meet the SA2020 Outdoorsy Resolutions Leaders for 2014: The Pences!”, Colleen Pence, San Antonio Moms Blogs, January 28, 2014. But Landa Gardens is not a city park; its success depends on the Landa Gardens Conservancy, the group of dedicated volunteers and benefactors who established and maintain the gardens.
To help build awareness of Landa Gardens, the Conservancy established May as Landa Gardens Month, a series of free, family-friendly activities at 10 a.m. every Saturday in May. This year is extra special because the month of May has five Saturdays instead of four. Here is the 2014 schedule:
- Saturday, May 3 at 10 a.m.: Mestizo escuela de baile Folklorico
- Saturday, May 10 at 10 a.m.: “Art in the Park” community art project
- Saturday, May 17 at 10 a.m.: Miss Anastasia, storyteller
- Saturday, May 24 at 10 a.m.: Owen Duggan, singer and songwriter
- Saturday, May 31 at 10 a.m.: Magik Theatre
Some families bring blankets and folding chairs to relax while watching the shows in the Valero Pavilion, the work of faux bois artist Carlos Cortés. The playgrounds are busy before and after the shows—a great time to visit with friends. I hope to see you there.
Here are some photos from Landa Gardens Month 2013:
- My earlier post about Landa Gardens Month 2013
- My earlier post about Landa Gardens Month 2012
More organizations dedicated to San Antonio’s parks: