Jubilee Academies is a network of charter schools in San Antonio and across South Texas. Jubilee works towards educating the whole child, focusing on character, leadership, and excellence. The school culture involves incorporating values and integrating them into lessons in the classrooms and on the field. Jubilee offers a range of pathways that are getting students ready for college and careers. On November 1, 2022, Jubilee Academies began accepting applications for enrollment for the 2023–24 school year. Open enrollment continues through January 31, 2023. We have put together a guide to help you learn more about Jubilee Academies in San Antonio and take steps to enroll your children for the next school year.
About Jubilee Academies
Jubilee Academies began in San Antonio in 2000 with 60 students, and has expanded to more regions: the Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville and Harlingen), the Coastal Bend (Kingsville), and Central Texas (Austin). Our team has visited Jubilee campuses in 2014, 2017, and 2021. In 2020, we spoke with Kevin Phillips, Ed.D., Superintendent of Jubilee Academies. Phillips explained how they use JUBILEE as an acronym to teach students Jubilee’s Determined Destiny Values: Joy, Understanding, Balance, Integrity, Leadership, Empowerment, and Excellence. They look for examples of students demonstrating these values, such as a Jubilee—Kingsville student who found a balance of both doing hard work and being a good friend. The value of Empowerment, Phillips said, is expressed by “speaking life into somebody through positive affirmations and helping them build confidence.” The teachers incorporate the Determined Destiny Values into their lesson plans, and the students include them in their work.
To read more about Jubilee Academies in the news, we recommend that you click on the articles linked at the bottom of this post. Also, we invite you to join the San Antonio Charter Moms discussion group on Facebook and ask questions; the group includes current Jubilee Academies families who can comment with answers based on their own experiences.
Jubilee Academies in San Antonio
During the 2023–24 school year, Jubilee Academies will have six schools in the San Antonio region. The 2023–24 school calendar shows that they follow a traditional academic schedule. On the district’s most recent school report card, they earned a C rating. The list below includes links to each campus’s school report cards.
- Jubilee—Highland Hills: 1515 Goliad Rd., San Antonio, TX 78223 (map); 210-634-7590; grades PK–8; school report card—not rated
- Jubilee—Highland Park: 901 E. Drexel Ave., San Antonio TX 78210; 210-801-8030 (map); grades PK–8; school report card—not rated
- Jubilee—Lake View University Prep: 325 Castroville Rd., San Antonio TX 78207 (map); 210-963-3900; grades PK–12; school report card—not rated
- Jubilee—San Antonio: 4427 Chandler, San Antonio TX 78222 (map); 210-278-3880; grades PK–12; school report card—not rated
- Jubilee—Sendero: 5408 Daughtry Dr., San Antonio, TX 78238 (map); 210-380-9583; grades PK–6; school report card—not rated
- Jubilee—Westwood: 8038 W. Military Dr., San Antonio, TX 78227 (map); 210-819-9387; grades PK–8; school report card—rated C
Download the free San Antonio Charter Schools app for an interactive map that includes these campuses and many more. You can also find campus information about Jubilee Academies (and many other schools of choice) on our page Guide to Charter Schools in San Antonio.
How to Enroll
Families can apply online to enroll their children at Jubilee Academies. Open enrollment for the 2023–24 school year began on November 1, 2022 and continues until January 13, 2023. If needed, Jubilee Academies will hold a random lottery on February 7, 2023. Students who are selected will receive an email inviting them to register; the remaining students will be placed on waiting lists, and will be notified if a spot becomes available.
Families who are interested in learning more about a campus should call the main number and ask to speak with an administrator. They will set up a time to talk and answer questions. They can also set up campus tours in person or virtually. You can tour these campuses virtually: Jubilee—Highland Hills, Jubilee—Sendero, and Jubilee—Westwood.
We also recommend following Jubilee Academies social media accounts:
- Jubilee Academies on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- Jubilee Highland Hills on Facebook
- Jubilee Highland Park on Facebook
- Jubilee Lake View University Prep on Facebook
- Jubilee San Antonio on Facebook
- Jubilee Sendero on Facebook
- Jubilee Westwood on Facebook
In addition, please join the San Antonio Charter Moms discussion group on Facebook to post questions and search previous discussions about Jubilee Academies schools in San Antonio.
Athletics are a point of pride at Jubilee. Campuses offer a variety of competitive sports, including basketball, volleyball, soccer, and track. The district has invested in athletics facilities with features such as indoor turf. Sports are an important part of a child’s mental conditioning because they provide opportunities to learn and demonstrate values. For example, a student who loses a game needs to find their inner strength—an element of joy—and express that by shaking hands with a competitor and saying, “Good game.” The coaches take the time for “Turf Talk” with students to discuss the Determined Destiny Values. Learn more about athletics at Jubilee San Antonio and Jubilee Highland Hills.
Middle school and high school students at Jubilee Academies have access to a wide range of programs to help them explore what they want to do after graduation. Career and technical education (CTE) programs allow students to explore pathways such as web development, culinary arts, nursing science, graphic design, and law enforcement. Students get hands-on experience and access to job certifications; armed with this knowledge, they can get good jobs right out of high school, or go on to college with clear goals in mind. Each campus offers different CTE pathway options—a good question to ask on a campus tour.
Students also have the opportunity to earn college credit in dual credit programs. In the San Antonio region, Jubilee Academies has partnerships with Texas A&M San Antonio, San Antonio College, and St. Philip’s College, and more college and university partnerships in other regions. Students who enroll in dual credit courses—which are free to the student—earn both high school credit and as much as 45–60 hours of college credit. They can apply those credits towards an associates degree or transfer them to a four year university. Dual credit programs help students achieve college graduation more quickly and at lower cost, with a clearer pathway to success.
Two principals, Raul Hinojosa from Jubilee—Highland Hills and James Montano from Jubilee—San Antonio, were members of the 2020–21 cohort of the Trinity School Design Network. Dr. Hinojosa is studying how to redesign their campus for an environmental science focus, and Mr. Montano is exploring programs in business, entrepreneurship, law, and criminal justice.
If you like what you have learned so far about Jubilee Academies in San Antonio we recommend that you apply for enrollment now. You are also welcome to join the San Antonio Charter Moms discussion group to learn more and interact with current Jubilee families.
Charter Moms Chats
Watch Kevin Phillips, Ed.D., Superintendent of Jubilee Academies, and Jessica Pastrano, Marketing and Communications Director at Jubilee Academies, speak with Inga Cotton on Charter Moms Chats on December 9, 2021 at 4:00 PM Central live on Facebook and YouTube.
Kevin Phillips, Ed.D., is the Superintendent of Jubilee Academies. Dr. Phillips is a military veteran who has the heart and mind of a servant leader. Dr. Phillips has been married for 18 years and has five beautiful children. Dr. Phillips has led schools at all levels and believes education is the great equalizer that allows teachers and students to reach their highest potential. Dr. Phillips earned his Doctorate of Educational Leadership and Policies Studies in 2015 from Texas A&M University—Commerce. Over his 20 years in education he has served as an Assistant Superintendent, Executive Director of Human Resources, Principal, Assistant Principal as well as a teacher and coach. Dr. Phillips joined the Jubilee team in 2019 and believes Jubilee is the type of organization that will impact the lives of families for generations to come. He believes the Jubilee core values will transform students and teachers into determined citizens guaranteed to make a difference in their communities.
Jessica Pastrano is the Marketing and Communications Director at Jubilee Academies. Mrs. Pastrano was born and raised in San Antonio, Texas, and joined Jubilee Academies in December 2015. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications, with a track in journalism, from the University of the Incarnate Word. In 2013, she graduated from the North San Antonio Chamber of Leadership Lab where she focused on performance, leadership, management, community service, and self-awareness. Mrs. Pastrano is a communications professional with experience in agency, corporate and non-profit settings. Her expertise is integrated marketing communications, public relations, event planning and project management. Her personable, energetic, and hard working ethic makes for a very aspiring and motivated personality. Throughout her 10 years as a thriving journalist and communications professional, she has served in several capacities. Following graduation, she supported one of the oldest non-profits in San Antonio planning grassroot campaigns, agency meetings, training programs, conferences and special events. Prior to that, Mrs. Pastrano held an internship as an investigative reporter with News4WOAI, freelanced for the San Antonio Express News (Southside Reporter), and volunteered as a host for the “Joy in Our Town” public affairs program on KHCE TV-23. Before joining Jubilee, she worked with a full-service communications agency as an account executive for clients such as McDonald’s, Walmart, the San Antonio Police Department, and more. Mrs. Pastrano enjoys taking on new and exciting opportunities that will lend to a lifetime of excellence and success.
Read More About Jubilee Academies
- “Viral TikTok films River Walk boat tour floating through graduation ceremony,” Priscilla Aguirre, San Antonio Express-News, August 30, 2022
- “SA school system shuttling students to doctor’s appointments without counting them absent,” Courtney Friedman, KSAT, March 13, 2022
- “Charter Moms Chats — Jubilee Academies In San Antonio, With Kevin Phillips,” YouTube, December 9, 2021
- “Jubilee Academies schools receive $23 million grant for college readiness,” Claire Bryan, San Antonio Express-News, November 4, 2021
- “Hunkering down against COVID, San Antonio’s charter schools are in the mask minefield,” Claire Bryan and Danya Perez, San Antonio Express-News, September 13, 2021
- “Charter Moms Chats — Jubilee Academies, With Kevin Phillips,” YouTube, December 10, 2020
- “Jubilee Academies to provide free breakfast, lunch for students this year,” News 4 San Antonio, August 13, 2020
- “Jubilee San Antonio—Great Graduates 2020,” Kiersten Ehr, KSAT, April 20, 2020
- “10 Charter Schools Fail State Standards as Most Charter Districts Improve,” Emily Donaldson, San Antonio Report, August 15, 2019
- “Trinity launches incubator for new public and charter schools,” Liz Teitz, San Antonio Express-News, May 16, 2019
- “Jubilee Academies,” Performance Charter School Development, 2018
- “South Side School Choice Fair at Compass Rose Academy,” San Antonio Charter Moms, March 20, 2018
- “Jubilee Highland Hills to Host Student-Led Leadership Event,” Business Wire, January 20, 2018
- “Jubilee Lake View University Prep Is the Newest Campus in the Jubilee Academies Network,” San Antonio Charter Moms, October 27, 2017
- “Jubilee Academic Center Completes Nearly $74 Million Bond Offering,” Business Wire, November 10, 2016
- “Jubilee Academic Center Teaches Leadership Skills in a Family Environment,” San Antonio Charter Moms, 2014