Have you seen the Community Room yet at Woodlawn Lake Park? The room re-opened late last year, after remodeling and improvements, with support from District 7 councilman Cris Medina (campaign page). “City unveils Woodlawn Lake Park community WiFi room”, Southside Reporter, December 21, 2012.
Reasons to visit:
- Community room has comfy chairs and free wifi; enjoy the light streaming through the arched windows and admire the cherub on the fireplace and the frieze of open books on the crown molding.
- Activities in the community room, including Little Read Wagon from 10 a.m. to noon on Tuesdays (today it’s Dinosaur Day), and teen activities from 4:45 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. on Wednesdays. (January 2013 schedule)
- Boundless playground: accessible for all abilities, but also includes some challenging equipment—like those three stacked triangles—gnarly.
- The beautiful lake, of course. (History of Woodlawn Lake.) Park rules allow boating but not swimming.
- Walking trail, gym, pool (in the summer), athletic fields, and more.