Prelude Prep Public School is a new charter school on the Southside of San Antonio that promises to help its students build a foundation to succeed in school, live purposeful lives, and become leaders in their communities. This month, Prelude Prep welcomes its first group of students in pre-K through 2nd grade to its campus (map) for the 2021-2022 academic year. The school will progressively expand to include students through 8th grade.
This first group of students will experience the Pre-Prep program, for students in pre-K, and the Early Prep program, for students in K–2. Students get to play and participate in hands-on activities to help them develop emotional and social skills, emergent reading and writing, math, science, and social studies, as well as fine arts and physical development. They build knowledge across all subject areas, including civic education, and also build strong social and emotional learning skills through daily indoor and outdoor play. Learn more about the Prelude Prep curriculum in our enrollment guide blog post.
How Prelude Prep Welcomes Students
We are looking forward to talking with Lauren Lewis, Founder and Superintendent, and Laura Rangel, Head of School, about how Prelude Prep welcomes its first group of students and families for a different educational experience. Here are some questions we are planning to ask during Charter Moms Chats on Tuesday, August 10:
- What are some practical things you and the faculty members and staff have been doing to get ready for students to come to school?
- As you have gotten to know the neighborhood and the entire community where the school will be located, how have you adapted the school model and culture to create a supportive environment?
- Can you share details about the campus facility? What upgrades have you made since you moved in? Are there outdoor learning spaces?
- What events are you planning as you welcome students and families?
Prelude Prep is still accepting applications for enrollment for pre-K through 2nd grade for the 2021–2022 school year. Contact the office at 210-780-7661 for more information.
Charter Moms Chats
Watch Lauren Lewis, Founder and Superintendent of Prelude Prep Public School, and Laura Rangel, Head of School of Prelude Prep Public School, speak with Inga Cotton on Charter Moms Chats on August 10, 2021 at 4:00 PM Central live on Facebook and YouTube.
Lauren Lewis is the Founder and Superintendent of Prelude Prep Public School, a public charter school opening in August 2021 on the Southside of San Antonio. Before her fellowship with BES, she worked as an elementary school teacher and a music teacher, and served as Principal of a Catholic school in the Archdiocese of New York. She has a masters in education from Fordham University and a bachelors in music from the University of Texas at San Antonio.
Laura Rangel is the Head of School of Prelude Prep Public School. Ms. Rangel received a Bachelor’s Degree in History with a minor in English Studies from Texas A&M University at Kingsville, a Master’s Degree in Library Science from Sam Houston State University, and a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership from St. Mary’s University. Ms. Rangel holds State of Texas Certifications in English Language Arts and Reading (4–8), English as a Second Language Supplemental (4–8), and Principal Leadership (EC–12).
Ms. Rangel is a distinguished educator with over 12 years of experience. She began her educational career as a middle school English teacher, and was recognized as Teacher of the Year during the 2010–2011 and 2014–2015 school years. Ms. Rangel has served in multiple leadership roles from early childhood to settings for high school students. These positions include Department Chair, Assistant Principal, Early College High School Dean, and Principal.
Ms. Rangel has a wide range of school finance and budget experience, analyzing data, evaluating and supporting teachers, serving as campus instructional leader, educational program management, marketing, enrollment, campus and fundraising for school districts, parent-community outreach, and grant management. Ms. Rangel has also successfully developed an Early College High School program for an established school in San Antonio. Ms. Rangel formed a partnership with Texas A&M University at San Antonio which allowed students to earn dual credit college credits at no cost and many students in these free programs earned full scholarships to Texas A&M University at San Antonio.
Ms. Rangel’s educational experience has allowed her to collaborate with a diverse group of people to meet the common goal of increasing student achievement and well-being. Her educational philosophy is based on her uncompromising belief that all students at any grade level can learn given a strong and knowledgeable leadership team, committed and focused academic curriculum, and an encouraging community.
Read More About Prelude Prep
- “Guide to Enrolling in Prelude Prep Public School in San Antonio for 2021–2022,” San Antonio Charter Moms, April 27, 2021
- “Two new charter school operators approved to open in San Antonio next year,” Andres Picon and Alia Malik, San Antonio Express-News, September 11, 2020
- “2 new Southside charter schools receive State approval,” Emily Donaldson, San Antonio Report, September 10, 2020
- “3 New San Antonio Charter Schools Plan to Open in Fall 2020,” Emily Donaldson, San Antonio Report, April 27, 2020
- “Former South San Antonio ISD leaders pushing charter schools,” Ashley McBride, San Antonio Express-News, March 2, 2020
- “New charter school hopefuls eye San Antonio for expansion,” Liz Teitz, San Antonio Express-News, February 22, 2019
Read More About Back to School in 2021
- “Incarnate Word Virtual High School Offers Catholic Online School for Girls,” Anne Schaefer-Salinas, San Antonio Charter Moms, August 18, 2021
- “Safely Learning Together: IDEA Public Schools Students Are Back in School for 2021–22,” San Antonio Charter Moms, August 17, 2021
- “Empowering Parents Through Communication,” Justin Johnston, San Antonio Charter Moms, August 2, 2021
- “All About the Royal Public Schools Campus,” San Antonio Charter Moms, July 15, 2021