School Discovery Days are events that invite families to meet prospective schools in a fun atmosphere. This is your opportunity to discover what makes each school unique and to ask all your pressing questions in a one-on-one environment.
The 2022 calendar is packed full of exciting School Discovery Days so mark your calendars and make sure to register for one or more of these free, open-to-the-public events! Here’s a quick view at the upcoming events, click on each one to jump down to more detailed information.
When: Saturday, February 19, 2022, at 11 AM–2 PM
Hemisfair is centrally located, and our event will focus on schools that are accessible to families living in central San Antonio—the area inside Loop 410. We are expecting 14 schools of choice, plus one proposed charter school, at our Hemisfair event. This part is full of amenities, and there will be a free chamber music concert near the Central Games Plaza at 11 AM. Read more on the blog.
When: Saturday, March 5, 2022, at 10 AM–2 PM
The Northeast side of the San Antonio metro area is a fast-growing region. Come back to this page for updates about schools participating in the School Discovery Day at Universal City Park on March 5. Read more on the blog.
When: Saturday, March 26, 2022, at 10 AM–2 PM
Families on the Southside of San Antonio are looking for high-quality education options that provide college readiness and career pathways. Visit this site again for a list of schools that will be represented at the School Discovery Day at the Greenline on March 26. Read more on the blog.
What to Expect
At a San Antonio Charter Moms School Discovery Day event, families can expect to meet representatives of a dozen or more schools of choice. Most of the schools represented will be tuition-free, open-enrollment charter schools that are open to all students. Events may also include choice schools within traditional public school districts, such as SAISD Choice Schools. A few programs may be tuition-based, such as early childhood programs or schools in the Archdiocese of San Antonio. Representatives from the schools are eager to talk with families, answer questions, and help with school tours, enrollment applications, and more.
School Discovery Days have a fun atmosphere for family members of all ages. The schools put their best foot forward, bringing extras like mascots and robots, and giving away prizes and school supplies. Each event will have a different mix of entertainment and activities such as face painting, bounce castles, and a DJ. Food trucks and local businesses have food and drink available for purchase.
At the San Antonio Charter Moms table, our team members are on hand to answer questions about your school search and how to find the right fit for your children. We also have scavenger hunt sheets so families can visit each school table, get a stamp, and turn in the form for an entry in our raffle. The prizes vary at each event but often include gift cards for groceries and school supplies. We are eager to have conversations about how parents can become advocates for high-quality education in our community, and how school choice gives families the range of education options they need to help their children get ready for the future.
To give you an idea of what to expect at a School Discovery Day, here is a walkthrough of our event at Hemisfair on November 7, 2021.
Here is a walkthrough of our event at Comanche Park on February 5, 2022.
- School Discovery Day at Comanche Park on February 5, 2022
- School Discovery Day at O.P. Schnabel Park on January 15, 2022—cancelled due to severe weather
- School Discovery Day at Hemisfair on November 7, 2021
Read More About School Search
- “San Antonio organization helping inner city families find best options for kids,” KENS 5, February 5, 2022
- “Finding the Right School for Your Family,” San Antonio Magazine, February 3, 2022
- “San Antonio Charter Moms hosts ‘School Discovery Day’ Sunday,” KENS 5, November 7, 2021
- “San Antonio Charter Moms hosts School Discovery Days event series,” Edmond Ortiz, Community Impact News, November 4, 2021
- “Stephanie Adams Shares Her School Search Experience,” Stephanie Adams, San Antonio Charter Moms, May 2, 2021
- “Charter School Applications: What I Wish I Knew,” Inga Cotton, San Antonio Charter Moms, January 14, 2021
- “Tools for Researching the Best Schools in San Antonio,” San Antonio Charter Moms, February 25, 2020
- “Searching for Charter Schools in San Antonio: What You Can Do in January,” San Antonio Charter Moms, January 17, 2019